2018 Grasshopper 400D 1.3L-72"
Call for Price
Offering powerful performance that makes quick work of even the toughest jobs, the Model 400D1.3L balances brute strength with a compact design to deliver the picture-perfect cut turf care professionals expect.
Features & Benefits
- EPA Tier 4 Final-compliant 77 cu. in. (1.3L) , 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled Kubota Clean Diesel engine with horizontal crankshaft and pressure lube for smooth, reliable operation.
- Rugged G2 transmission with auxiliary cooling fans, HydroGear variable displacement 21 cc piston-type pumps and high-torque Parker wheel motors. CoolFan™ hydro cooling system with 7-micron absolute filter for cooling efficiency. Delivers smooth response and requires less maintenance, with industry-leading 1,000-hour fluid change interval.
- Extra-deep, 5.5-inch deck is fabricated from heavy-gauge formed steel with a reinforced anvil edge. Specially designed cutting chambers enhance airflow for better cut quality. Deck easily converts from side discharge to optional Down Discharge™ mulching or PowerVac™ collection. Sentry™ spindles with massive, 8-inch flanges anchored in a 6-bolt pattern, spread the force of impact for greater strength. Spindle planes are fabricated from double-layered formed steel laminate and combine with the spindles to form a triple-strength deck to keep blades level and deliver a high-quality cut. Sentry™ spindle guards shield spindle housing and seal lower bearings from fiber wrap and dirt ingestion.
- Hydraulic Height Adjustment for MidMount DuraMax™ decks 61-inches and larger allows operators to raise and lower cutting height at infinitely variable settings with toggle switch control. Standard on 400 Series models.
- Commercial Use: 3-year unlimited hours; limited warranty covering parts and labor. Residential Use: 4-year or 800-hour (whichever comes first); limited warranty covering parts and labor.
- Robotically-welded steel construction for long-lasting durability. Centered-bearing design provides greater load-bearing capacity to handle the weight of operator, fuel and high-capacity collector with reserve strength for curb shocks and weight shifts. Tough-as-nails powder-coated finish is fusion-bonded for chip and rust resistance.
- Only two Access-Eze™ lubrication points cut maintenance time up to 95%. Self-tensioning belts minimize cost and labor on routine maintenance.
- Fewer than 10 grease points and easy top-side access to belts and filters. 1,000-hour transmission fluid change intervals. Self-tensioning belts minimize cost and labor on routine maintenance.
- ComfortZone™ seat eliminates jostles and jolts with coil-spring suspension and a fully padded, high-back seat, padded armrests and variable density foam cushion. Iso-mounting smooths the ride, erases fatigue and keeps the operator comfortably in control at faster mowing speeds. Operational controls including throttle, choke and angled View-Eze™ console and adjustable cup holder are well positioned for visibility and ease of reach. One- or two-handed operation with ComfortReach™ adjustable Hydra-Smooth™ dual levers that automatically return to neutral from either forward or reverse position.
- Deep-cushioned, high-back, foam-padded, scuff-resistant Cordura®-covered seat with padded lumbar support and armrests. Roomy, iso-mounted, shock-absorbing footrest.
- Standard, low profile Roll-over Protection System (ROPS) structure with an adjustable seatbelt. Dampened steering levers that return to neutral from forward and reverse. Interlock switches that shut down the engine when the operator leaves the seat while PTO is engaged or levers are in drive position.
- Equipped with a High Temperature Clutch Cut-Out that automatically disengages the PTO if engine temperature reaches a certain point to prevent engine damage.
- Type/Horsepower/Cylinders: Kubota, 3-cyl., MaxTorque™
- Displacement: 77 cu. in. (1261 cc)
- Lubrication System: Pressure Lube/Filter
- Crankshaft: Horizontal
- Cooling System: Liquid
- Fuel: Diesel - No. 2
- Fuel Capacity: 12 U.S. Gal. (45.4 l)
- Optional Fuel Capacity: NA
- Air Cleaner: Heavy-duty, remote mounted, cyclonic, dual element air filtration.
- Muffler: Ultra quiet, single, industrial type
- Deck: DuraMax
- Mulching Package #: 504571(72)
- Duramax® Deck Size: 61"
- Cutting Height Range: 1.0 to 5.0 in. (2.5cm to 12.7 cm)
- Construction (Robotic-welded steel): Double-layered 10-gauge plus 7-gauge formed-steel laminated spindle plane 0.313 in (7.95 mm) thick- more than 25% thicker than 0.25 in. (6.35 mm) with 7-gauge skirts for geometric strength. Spindle plane is 0.9 in.(22.86 mm) thick in stress zones. Anvil-edge design with 0.5 in. (12.7 mm) reinforcement on front edge of deck.
- Blades (Tempered, alloy steel): (3) 25 in. (63.5 cm)
- Spindle Assemblies: Sentry™ Spindle System, 2.5 cm (approx. 1 in.) O.D. shaft. Double bearings greasable from top of deck. Spindle head designed to eliminate fiber wrap. Spindle cones shield housing and lower bearings from fiber wrap and dirt ingestion.
- Spindle Housings: 8 in. (20.3 cm)-diameter housing with 6-bolt pattern. Machined aluminum housing on 52- and 61-inch decks. Cast iron on 72-inch deck.
- Blade Drive: Belt drive with single Kevlar V-belt and idler arm tensioning.
- Trimability (Outside of std. tire to left trim side): NA
Starter & Electrical System
- Battery (maintenance-free): 12 Volt
- Starter: Solenoid shift
- Ignition: Breakerless, diesel quick heat glow plug
- Interlock System: Prevents engine start when PTO clutch is engaged or steering levers are in drive position. Allows operator dismount without engine shutdown only when PTO is disengaged and steering levers are locked in neutral.
Ultimate Operator System
- Seat: Ultimate Suspension Ride (USR) iso-mounted, high-back, deep-cushioned, foam-padded, CoolTemp Cordura-covered, padded arms/backrest with lumbar support and coil-spring suspension. Optional CoolTemp Cordura-covered premier suspension seat.
- Suspension: InFrame™ suspension with iso-mounted seat and footrest
- Console-mounted Instruments: Low engine oil pressure, alternator, temperature and parking brake warning lights, engine temperature and volt gauges, combination electronic fuel gauge/hour meter, glow plug, ignition and push/pull PTO switches.
- Work Lights: Optional - LED
- Hour Meter: Standard
Transmission & Steering
- Type: Design-matched G2 hydrostatic system with auxiliary cooling fans, HydroGear variable displacement 21 cc piston-type pumps and high-torque Parker wheel motors.
- Filtration/Hydro Fluid: 7 micron absolute, spin-on / Grasshopper CoolTemp Hydro-Max™ fluid withstands high and low temperature extremes for 1,000-hour change intervals.
- Speed: 0 - 11 mph (0 - 17.7 kph) forward 0 - 6.0 mph (0 - 9.7 kph) reverse
- Turning Radius: True zero degree, turns within own length with counter-rotating, independently powered drive wheels.
- Steering: One- or two-hand operation with adjustable HydraSmooth™ dual levers that automatically return to neutral from either forward or reverse position.
- Brakes: Dynamic braking through hydrostatic transmission.
- Parking Brake: Disc parking brakes, one for each drive wheel.
- Attachment Drive: NA
- Drive Wheels - Standard (4-ply rated): 24x12.00x12 turf, 4-ply rated
- Drive Wheels – Optional (4-ply rated): 24x12.00x12 bar tread, 4-ply rated
- Front Wheels – All Models: 13x6.50x6; rib tread, pneumatic with greasable, double-sealed bearings to protect from grass wrap.
- Height (Seat Back): 47.0 in. (119.4 cm)
- Height (Seat Cushion): 31.5 in. (80.0 cm)
- Height (ROPS): 69.5 in. (176.5 cm)
- Length (MidMount w/ DuraMax® Deck - Mowing Position): 89.5 in. (227.3 cm)
- Deck Width (Side Discharge): 85.5 in. 227.3 cm)
- Deck Width (Mulch*): 73.5 in.* (186.7 cm)
- Weight (Uncrated): 1540 lbs. (698.5 kg)
- Mulching Package: 44 lbs. (20.0 kg)
Options & Accessories
- Provides additional seating room for larger operators or to accommodate cell phones or pagers. Requires seat belt extension.
- The optional Premier Suspension Seat offers the ultimate in comfort and an extra measure of suspension while mowing over rough ground. Adjustable backrest, armrests and lumbar support with weight-adjusted suspension control provide maximum comfort for operators of all sizes and preferences.
- Provides an additional two inches of leg clearance.
- Available for all MidMount models, optional QuikAjust Tilt™ steering levers (except 124V-41) with "no tools" adjustment provide a 9-inch range for maximum comfort and fit while maintaining natural arm and wrist positions.
- Optional low-pressure, high-flotation bar-tread tires flex with the terrain for maximum traction and minimize scuffing caused by wheel spin-out.
- Optional DuraFlex™ Suspension Forks absorb the impacts of rough terrain to maintain a level cut, and can be set for use with PowerVac™ collectors.
- The Foldable ROPS allows the two-post ROPS to be lowered for mowing under low-hanging trees and other overhead obstacles, or for storing and transporting in enclosed trailers with low door clearance. CAUTION: Avoid drop-offs, embankments and steep slopes. Do not allow ROPS to provide a false pretense of security in hazardous areas and avoid questionable conditions. Always wear seatbelt when Foldable ROPS is in up-right position. When Foldable ROPS is down, DO NOT use seat belt, and drive with extra caution.
- Lightweight, water repellent, UV-resistant vinyl canopy mounts easily to OPS or ROPS to limit exposure to direct sunlight, reducing eye strain and increasing operator comfort.
- Optional DuraGuard™ Rear Bumper Guards protect the rear of the mower while preserving easy access for removal of the rear service shield. Available on the 220, 223, 227, 300 Series and 400 Series.
- A multi-channel sprayer that combs water pressure between radiator fins without damage, dislodging packed-in dust and debris that can become an invisible source of engine overheating. Remove and clean radiator screen regularly. A dirty screen will cause the engine to overheat. For use on liquid-cooled
- LED work lights provide improved visibility in low light situations.
- Yellow beacon attaches to OPS or ROPS to provide greater visibility in high-traffic areas.
- The optional Down Discharge™ mulching package with GrassMax™ medium-lift blades cuts and recuts clippings and directs them deep into the grass bed, enriching turf and producing a beautifully manicured cut.
- The optional SpeedTrimming™ heavy-duty, anti-scalp roller kit for 52-inch and larger DuraMax® decks speeds close trimming near buildings, fences retaining walls and other landscaping features. Kits available for both left and right sides of cutting decks.
- Creates clean, sharp turf edges along sidewalks, roadways and driveways, eliminating time-consuming secondary trimming and reducing edging time up to 75 percent compared to hand-held string trimmers and walk-behinds.
- Accepts 53-inch, 30-gallon shielded sprayer, which features aerodynamically designed shields and fully shielded curtains to contain chemical spray. Four-nozzle spraying chambers apply small droplets that "stick" to vegetation for more coverage per tank using less chemicals.
- PowerVac™ Collection Systems deliver a clean sweep on every pass. Simply adjust your mowing speed to your conditions.
- Quik-D-Tatch® Vac drive can be removed in seconds without tools.
- Weather-resistant, black Cordura fabric cover with embroidered Grasshopper logo keeps seat and engine area protected during storage or between mowings. Slips over ROPS, with Velcro closure to secure the opening.
- Engine Manufacturer
- Engine Type
- 3-cylinder, MaxTorque™
- 77 cu. in. (1261 cc)
- Design-matched G2 hydrostatic system with auxiliary cooling fans, HydroGear variable displacement 21 cc piston-type pumps and high-torque Parker wheel motors
- Wheel Size
- Fuel Capacity
- 12 U.S. Gal. (45.4 L)
- Deck Size
- 72 in.
- Discharge Type